News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/16/2014 4:06:30 PM to 2/17/2014 12:05:00 AM.

News Flash

Home

Posted on: January 16, 2014

[ARCHIVED] Fire Sprinkler Saves Again

kitchen.jpg

In the mid-afternoon of January 13, 2014, a pot of oil was left unattended and heating on a stove at the Colony at Cherry Creek Apartments, located at 16312 E. Fremont Ave. in Arapahoe County. At about 3:10 p.m., the oil caught fire and flames started spreading to the microwave and cabinets above. But within seconds, the intense heat reached a single fire sprinkler head that activated and sprayed water on the fire. The fire alarm system sounded, evacuating the other residents and alerting the fire department. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was extinguished and the resulting damage was minimal compared to risk to lives and property that an uncontrolled fire would create. “There were no injuries, little fire damage, and the sprinkler system was quickly put back into service,” said Mike Kadel, Fire Investigator. “Fire sprinklers have an impressive ability to limit property damage and keep our residents and firefighters safe.”

The South Metro Fire Rescue Authority wants to remind everyone to never leave a stove unattended while cooking. To learn more about the life-saving power of fire sprinkler systems, go to http://firesprinklerinitiative.org/legislation/state-initiatives/colorado.aspx.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

firefighters assisting community member

Amended and Restated Service Plan

Posted on: February 6, 2023
Board of Director Map and News Flash

SMFR Board Of Directors Election

Posted on: January 23, 2023
4th of July Parade Requests

4th of July Parade Requests

Posted on: January 23, 2023