In the mid-afternoon of January 13, 2014, a pot of oil was left unattended and heating on a stove at the Colony at Cherry Creek Apartments, located at 16312 E. Fremont Ave. in Arapahoe County. At about 3:10 p.m., the oil caught fire and flames started spreading to the microwave and cabinets above. But within seconds, the intense heat reached a single fire sprinkler head that activated and sprayed water on the fire. The fire alarm system sounded, evacuating the other residents and alerting the fire department. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was extinguished and the resulting damage was minimal compared to risk to lives and property that an uncontrolled fire would create. “There were no injuries, little fire damage, and the sprinkler system was quickly put back into service,” said Mike Kadel, Fire Investigator. “Fire sprinklers have an impressive ability to limit property damage and keep our residents and firefighters safe.”
The South Metro Fire Rescue Authority wants to remind everyone to never leave a stove unattended while cooking. To learn more about the life-saving power of fire sprinkler systems, go to http://firesprinklerinitiative.org/legislation/state-initiatives/colorado.aspx.