SMFR uniformed Firefighters protect lives and property through their involvement in firefighting, emergency medical care, fire prevention, disaster response, community service and public education. SMFR has twenty nine fire stations that are staffed 24/7 with three shifts working rotating 48-96 shift schedule. In addition, there are special team opportunities, including: Aircraft firefighting & Rescue; Bike Medics; Dive, Ice and Swift Water Rescue; Hazardous Materials; Incident Management Team; SWAT Medic; Technical Rescue; Urban Search & Rescue; Wildland; Pipes & Drums; Explorer Program and Arapahoe Rescue patrol.
Entry Level Firefighter
- High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Valid CPAT certificate through at least the date of hire
- Possess or be able to obtain a Colorado State driver’s license by date of hire
- Possess a good driving history and be insurable by the District’s insurance provider
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check, criminal history review, physical, fitness/wellness assessment, medical evaluation, drug screen and psychological exam.
Hiring Process Overview
(See current job opportunities for any available positions)
Step #1 FIRE TEAM TEST
Candidates are required to take the FireTEAM test administered by the National Testing Network. The test is available at a number of different testing centers across the United States on various dates. In order to take the FireTEAM test please visit the National Testing Network, identify a testing center near you and register to take the test. Space is limited so please don’t delay and register ASAP at:
Step #2 CPAT
Candidates are required to have a valid CPAT certificate through the date of hire. There are numerous testing sites in Colorado including Aims community college. Please see AIMS CPAT for details.
Based on FireTEAM scores, a limited number of candidates will be invited to submit an application
After Applications are submitted, a limited number of candidates will be invited to participate in the Oral Board Process.
FireTEAM Test Completed with National Testing Network
- A video based test consisting of 4 different components: Human Relations, Math, Mechanical, and Reading. Applicants will watch a video clip and respond to a series of related questions for the Human Relations, Math, and Mechanical components of the test. The Reading component of the test requires applicants read various texts and answer related questions.
- See Ergometrics FireTeam Video Practice Test for additional details and to take the practice test.
- To take the FireTEAM test, determine the testing center near you and register at: National Testing Network FireTEAM
- There is a $50 fee to take the FireTEAM test that will be at the candidate’s expense. For information on the testing process with NTN visit: FireTEAM Testing Process
- For frequently asked questions regarding the FireTEAM test and/or the National Testing Network (NTN) that administers the exam, please visit: FireTEAM FAQs
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- This test consists of eight events commonly performed in the fire service. It is designed to test a candidates strength and endurance. It is physically demanding and requires the candidate be physically fit to be able to perform essential job tasks and be successful.
- Visit CPAT with Aims Community College for additional details and resources including a Candidate Preparation Guide, a Candidate Orientation Guide, a CPAT Orientation Video and much more.