Accreditation & Standards of Cover
South Metro Fire Rescue Was Awarded Prestigious ISO Class 1 Designation
South Metro Fire Rescue (SMFR) has achieved the best possible fire protection class rating issued by the Insurance Services Organization (ISO) - an ISO 1 rating. The Class 1 rating is important to property owners who may now see a reduction in their insurance premiums.
The new rating combined with SMFR's international accreditation from the Commission on Fire Accreditation International is a prestigious designation that few fire protection districts in the nation have achieved. SMFR is the fourth in Colorado to achieve this honor, following Cunningham Fire Protection District, who South Metro unified with on January 1, 2018.
The ISO rating is evaluated approximately every five years, and SMFR's previous rating was a "Class 3". Moving to a "Class 1" places South Metro in the prestigious group of only 240 departments throughout the country with an ISO rating of 1. There are seven departments in Colorado that have received an ISO rating 1 - including Denver, West Metro, Federal Heights, Cunningham, Westminster, Adams County, and now South Metro - and South Metro is the first department in the country with an ISO 1 in hauled water / non-hydrant areas.
View and download the ISO letter (PDF) from ISO stating our rating of 1.
View and download the SMFR Standards of Cover
Benefits of Accreditation
Accredited agencies are often described as being community-focused, data-driven, outcome-focused, strategic-minded, well-organized, properly equipped, and properly staffed and trained. A few words on the value of agency accreditation.
- Provides greater community alignment.
- Encourages quality improvement.
- Facilitates input from and builds positive relationships with labor.
- Identifies areas of strengths and weaknesses.
- Allows for the establishment of an improvement plan.
- Provides data-supported decision-making.
- Communicates management and leadership philosophies.
- Ensures your agency has a defined mission and related objectives.
- Encourages the development of organizational procedural documents.